Vegan sandwiches must be the easiest and quickest type of food. I love that they can be placed anywhere between comfort food to the healthiest meal. From a good old peanut butter jelly sandwich, a rich veggie burger, a light avocado sandwich, or a delicious vegan tofu sandwich like this one. There’s really no going wrong with a veggie sandwich.
The beauty of this crispy tofu sandwich lies in the mix of flavors and textures, starting with the olive mix. It’s packed with sunflower seeds, sun-dried tomatoes, bell pepper, and garlic.
The tofu is cooked with a mix of salty and sweet ingredients. And to top it off, the chimichurri sauce brings this vegetarian sandwich together, adding a unique explosion of flavor!
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 5 min
Total time: 10 min
1 multigrain bread roll
2 extra-firm tofu slices
A few spinach leaves
8 Kalamata and green olives
2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomato
2 tsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Honey or any other liquid sweetener
1 tsp herb seasoning blend
2 tbsp Chimichurri sauce (find the recipe here)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Finely chop the olives.
2. Finely chop the garlic.
3. Finely chop the sunflower seeds.
4. Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Finely chop a slice of red bell pepper.
6. In a small bowl, add all the chopped ingredients, seasoning blend, salt and pepper, 1 tsp of the excess olive oil from the olive container, and a squeeze of lime juice. Mix well.
7. Heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Once it’s hot, add 2 slices of extra firm tofu (don’t add any oil). Sear each side for a couple of minutes until golden and crisped.
8. Reduce the heat, add balsamic vinegar and honey (or any other liquid sweetener), and cook for a minute.
9. Assembly: Make a base of spinach leaves followed by a layer of the olive mix, then add the tofu slices, and finally, spread chimichurri sauce on the top bread slice and on top of the tofu slices. And that’s it! Enjoy with a glass of lemon water.
- For a spicier version, add chili flakes to the olive mix and a tsp of smoked paprika.
- Optional toppings: alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, shredded carrots.
$4.40. This takes into account the measurements listed in the ingredients section and for the main ingredients only. It does not include seasoning.
* Bread is high in calories and carbs but low in protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals. Whole-wheat bread is higher in fiber, protein, and micronutrients like selenium and manganese than white bread.
Bread is usually enriched with iron, riboflavin, thiamine, and niacin.
In moderation, bread can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet. It’s best to pick whole-wheat or sprouted bread, pairing it with a balanced diet to get the maximum health benefits.
*Tofu is a food made of condensed soy milk that is pressed into solid white blocks in a process quite similar to cheesemaking.
It’s high in protein and contains all of the essential amino acids your body needs. It provides fats, carbs, and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
Whole soy foods like tofu can improve several markers of heart health. This may lead to a reduced risk of heart disease.
*Kalamata olives are rich in monounsaturated fat, also known as healthy fat, which helps in reducing cholesterol levels.
Olives are a great source of calcium, vitamin A, and fiber.
Calcium is best absorbed when combined with potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C. Combining olives with tomatoes, kale, pasta, or quinoa can increase its calcium absorption.
While generally healthy, Kalamata olives are high in sodium, largely due to the canning and preservation process. If you’re watching your sodium intake, look for a low-sodium alternative.
Did you try this simple yet flavorful tofu and olive sandwich? Let me know in the comments below and/or tag your creation on Instagram #thehoneyboost.