Whenever I crave a quick and cozy soup, this recipe is my go-to. It’s creamy, filling, and packed with nutrients and flavor.
The trick to making flavorful soups is to cook the vegetables with the spices before adding water. This helps to release the flavors and aroma.
This vegan carrot sweet potato soup is nourishing, earthy, and has a little kick of spiciness from the ginger. It’s also high in carbohydrates, fiber, and vitamins.
I garnish this tasty and healthy sweet potato carrot soup with green onions and dried oregano, with a splash of balsamic vinegar to bring all the flavors together. It’s a hug in a bowl! Accompany with roasted vegetables or lentil salad.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Total time: 40 min
2 sweet potatoes
4-6 carrots (4 large or 6 medium)
1 yellow onion
1 cube vegetable bouillon
1-inch piece of ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp adobo seasoning
1 tsp umami mushroom seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
6 cups of water
Salt and pepper
Garnish with green onion, oregano, balsamic vinegar, and lime juice.
1. Chop the sweet potatoes into medium pieces.
2. Chop the carrots into medium pieces.
3. Chop the onion into small pieces.
4. Heat a large pot. Once it’s hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and add the onion.
5. While it’s cooking, add paprika, cumin, adobo seasoning, umami mushroom seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
6. Add the sweet potato, carrots, vegetable bouillon, a piece of ginger, and 6 cups of water. Cook partially covered over medium heat for 30 minutes.
7. Once the vegetables are tender, remove the pot from the heat. Use a hand blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
8. Garnish with green onion, dried oregano, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Keep the carrot and sweet potato skin for extra fiber.
$7.00. This takes into account the measurements listed in the ingredients section and for the main ingredients only. It does not include seasoning.
*Sweet potatoes are mainly composed of carbs and fiber and relatively low in protein. They're an excellent source of beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium. Sweet potatoes are also likely healthier than regular potatoes, they have a lower GI, more fiber, and large amounts of beta carotene. Also, they may have a variety of benefits, including improved blood sugar regulation and reduced oxidative damage.
*Carrots are a particularly good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. They also have several health benefits, including lowering cholesterol levels and improving eye health.
*Onions have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects and have been linked to lower blood sugar levels and improve bone health. They consist mostly of water, carbs, and fiber, which can feed the friendly bacteria in your gut, though they may cause digestive problems in some people. Onions also contain decent amounts of vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6, and potassium. They’re also rich in plant compounds and antioxidants, especially quercetin and sulfur-containing compounds. Colorful varieties, such as yellow or red ones, pack more antioxidants than white ones.
Did you try this smooth and creamy sweet potato and carrot soup recipe? Let me know in the comments below and/or tag your creation on Instagram #thehoneyboost.