This vegan eggplant pasta is made with whole-grain pasta with herby and creamy eggplant pasta sauce. It’s packed with flavor from the onion, garlic, and mix of herbs and seasoning. The stuffed green olives, basil leaves, and lime juice add the perfect final touch of flavor that brings everything together.
Although pasta is considered comfort food, it can also be healthy!
If you opt for whole-grain pasta and making your own pasta sauce instead of buying one at the store, you can control the amount of salt and seasoning and end up with a sauce that balances the flavors from the ingredients in your pasta dish.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
1 ½ cups whole wheat rotini pasta
a drizzle of olive oil
1 large eggplant
1 yellow onion
⅔ cup of green olives
⅔ cup almond milk
1 oz basil leaves
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp adobo seasoning
2 tsp umami mushroom seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
Salt to taste
Garnish with basil leaves, lime zest, and chili flakes.
1. Chop ⅔ of the eggplant into small cubes. Cut ⅓ of the eggplant into large slices.
2. Cut the onion in half. Chop one half into small pieces and the other half into large chunks.
3. Heat a pan and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the large eggplant slices and large onion pieces. Char the vegetables for 5 - 8 minutes. Turn halfway to char each side.
4. In a blender, add the charred onion and eggplant, 1 tsp umami mushroom seasoning, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground ginger, almond milk, 1 tsp minced garlic, and salt to taste. Blend until smooth and set aside.
5. In a pot, add water and bring to a boil. Cook the pasta in salted water for 10 min. Then rinse and set aside.
6. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large pot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the small onion pieces and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Then, add the small eggplant cubes, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp adobo seasoning, 1 tsp umami mushroom seasoning, and salt to taste. Cook for 10 min.
7. Add the rinsed pasta into the pot, the sauce from the blender, chopped olives, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
8. Chop the basil leaves into thin strips for garnish.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Optional: lime zest and chili flakes for garnish.
$11.00. This takes into account the measurements listed in the ingredients section and for the main ingredients only. It does not include seasoning.
* Eggplants are high in anthocyanins, a pigment with antioxidant properties that can protect against cellular damage. They provide a good amount of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Eggplants are also high in fiber and polyphenols, both of which may help reduce blood sugar levels.
* Whole-grain pasta is typically high in fiber, manganese, selenium, copper, and phosphorus, while refined, enriched pasta tends to be higher in iron and B vitamins. Whole-grain pasta is also lower in calories and higher in fiber and certain micronutrients than refined pasta.
* Olives are a good source of vitamin E, iron, copper, and calcium. Calcium is best absorbed when combined with potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C. Combining olives with tomatoes, kale, pasta, or quinoa can increase its calcium absorption.
Did you try this easy and creamy eggplant pasta recipe? Let me know in the comments below and/or tag your creation on Instagram #thehoneyboost.