When I think about asparagus soup, it immediately takes me back to cold weather days at grandma’s house. She used to make cream of asparagus when I was growing up. It was one of my favorite things ever!
This vegan asparagus and potato soup is thick, creamy, and oh so tasty! It’s packed with spices that create very distinct earthy flavors.
It’s also so nutritious and perfect for winter meal prep. It makes 4 servings for under $10 and stores great in the fridge or freezer!
There’s something so comforting about a vegan bowl of soup. Warm, cozy, silky, and incredibly delicious!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Total time: 50 min
1 bunch asparagus (approx 1 lb)
1 yellow onion
2 russet potatoes
1 cube vegetable bouillon
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cashew milk
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp umami seasoning blend
1 tsp ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
lime juice (1 lime)
Garnish: asparagus tips, dried thyme, chili flakes, and balsamic vinegar
Serve with bread slices or sesame breadsticks.
1. Wash the asparagus and trim the hard ends.
2. Chop the asparagus into medium pieces.
3. Chop the onion into small pieces.
4. Peel the potatoes and chop them into small pieces.
5. Heat a large pot on the stove and add olive oil. Once it’s hot, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper, paprika, cumin, umami seasoning blend, and ground ginger. Cook on medium heat until the onion is translucent. About 5 minutes
6. Add the asparagus and potatoes to the pot and saute for 5 minutes to infuse all the flavors. Reserve a few cooked asparagus tips for garnish.
7. Add 4 cups of water, a cube of vegetable bouillon, and 1 cup of cashew milk to the pot. Cook uncovered or partially covered on medium heat for 30 min.
8. Once the potatoes are soft, turn off the heat and remove it from the stove.
9. Use a hand blender to blend everything until smooth.
10. Add lime juice (1 lime) and stir well.
11. Garnish with asparagus tips, dried thyme, chili flakes, and balsamic vinegar.
12. Serve with bread slices or sesame breadsticks. Pair with roasted vegetables.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge or a month in the freezer.
- The splash of balsamic vinegar adds a slightly sweet flavor.
- For a deeper asparagus flavor, use 2 lbs of asparagus and 1 potato. This will reduce the potato flavor and increase the asparagus taste while still keeping a creamy texture.
$9.00. This takes into account the measurements listed in the ingredients section and for the main ingredients only. It does not include seasoning.
*Asparagus is an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, especially folate and vitamins A, C, and K. It’s also a good source of antioxidants, including vitamin E, flavonoids, and polyphenols. Antioxidants prevent the accumulation of harmful free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic disease. Asparagus is an excellent source of folate, also known as vitamin B9. Folate is an essential nutrient that helps form red blood cells and produce DNA for healthy growth and development.
*Potatoes: Carbs are the main dietary component of potatoes. Those cooled down after boiling may provide some resistant starch, which can improve gut health. Potatoes also contain small amounts of high-quality protein. They are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, including potassium, folate, and vitamins C and B6.
*Onions have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects and have been linked to lower blood sugar levels and improve bone health. They consist mostly of water, carbs, and fiber, which can feed the friendly bacteria in your gut, though they may cause digestive problems in some people. Onions also contain decent amounts of vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6, and potassium. They’re also rich in plant compounds and antioxidants, especially quercetin and sulfur-containing compounds. Colorful varieties, such as yellow or red ones, pack more antioxidants than white ones.
Did you try this creamy asparagus soup recipe? Let me know in the comments below and/or tag your creation on Instagram #thehoneyboost.